Monday, June 9, 2014

Lemon Shadows

6"x6" | oil on archival panel
I am having a great time, experimenting with different color combinations for these lemons! I am currently reading the book by Charles Reid on Oil Painting Flowers. It talks about different pigments and what he uses them for, and the importance of values! I guess you can't say it enough. For the various yellows of the lemons today I was using (mostly), Cad Yellow Light, Cad Yellow Medium, Cad Orange, and Cerulean Blue... instead of Ultramarine. For the delicate changes in the yellow, the Cerulean seemed to work the best. Charles Reid also says Cad Orange is essential, you can mix it, but it just doesn't come out the same. I would have to agree!

Available for purchase on Daily Paintworks website:

Click this link to see or buy "Lemon Shadows" oil painting on Daily Paintworks Website, and to see all of my available paintings.