Friday, October 7, 2011

The Shapes of Trees

12" x 48" ::  cradled wood panel 2" deep
The shapes of trees fascinate me. I have had this idea in mind for a painting, since this summer, to paint on wood, and have the wood show through as part of the light values in the painting. It's hard to see in a photo, but the light color of the actual wood is showing through in parts of the painting. The wood has two coats of shellac as a clear gesso.

This painting is available at the Columbia Center for the Arts, 215 Cascade Ave, Hood River, OR  541 387 8877

The First Friday Opening Reception is this evening from 6pm - 8pm, hope to see you there!

Some progress photos... beginning to end...



11 comments:

Valérie Pirlot said...

Beautiful painting. I love the way to treated the trees and and the patches of sky showing through. There is a real sense of space and heat about this place. Thanks fro sharing.

Page Railsback said...

Really lovely..thanks for the process

Diana Moses Botkin said...

SO beautiful, Cathleen! This painting is truly a show stopper.

Carol Flatt said...

Cathleen,
This is just utterly stunning! I love the long, lean format you used, and your ability to draw and paint trees is top-notch! I grew up in the Seattle area and consider Wshington/Oregon home. This painting brings wonderful memories of the area. Thank you!

Sarah said...

Nice painting! Hope your first friday opening was fun and successful!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

This is a fabulous painting! Thank you for sharing your process!

Kevin Neal said...

This ranks near the top of my favorite pieces you have done. Great work. I love linear pieces.

Angela said...

Love your trees.

Gabrielle said...

Perhaps it is the wood shining through, perhaps it is your work, or maybe a little of both, but this painting has a definite glow to it. It is gorgeous. I hope your First Friday opening was fun!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

wow!
This is wonderful. Thanks for showing the step by step.
I have a canvas like this waiting for me to paint a marsh scene. A leap for me as I usually paint small.
Hard to photograph these large ones.

Ruth Andre said...

I love your paintings and this one is truly grand. Nice to see the step-by-step painting process too.