Saturday, January 17, 2009

Eastern Columbia River Gorge - SOLD

Someone left the comment that I had not written what I was thinking when I painted this one. I was thinking mostly about values - to make objects/forms come forward and go back into space. Atmosphere, the hills far away in the desert are a muted grayed down blueish, and as they come forward they get more color. It's way too cold here to paint outside, so I did this painting from a photo I took during the spring from the Mosier Tunnels Trail. I just felt like I really needed to paint a landscape for a change. And I had just gotten a new brush that is an inch wide, that I was trying out.

Oil on canvas panel - Öl auf Malplatte - huile sur carton entoilé
6 in x 6 in :: 15.2 cm x 15.2 cm
unframed

5 comments:

Diane Hoeptner (hep-ner) said...

Beautiful, Cathleen. Your brushwork is so confident. I LOVE this painting!

http://www.onpainting.wordpress.com said...

A nice study but since you mention what ever you are thinking about goes into the painting, I'm curious as to what you were thinking during this painting.

Candy Barr said...

Lively fresh and enough information to be compelling. Check out Steven Goodman's as well.

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Good one Cathleen, it really has a lovely feel! Next time I go out I am going to give that big brush a try!

Jeffrey

Mike Barr said...

The big brush is the key and you have used it perfectly!